FW: The view from Old Blighty - 3

 

 

Feed: Inbox
Posted on: Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:58 AM
Author: Cricinfo
Subject: The view from Old Blighty - 3

 

From Andrew Hughes, United Kingdom

Fans enjoy themselves at the IPL © Associated Press

 

I haven’t been feeling very English lately. I do my best to conform to expectations. I never cry in public, unless I’m drunk. I don’t complain about poor service in shops, unless I’m drunk. At the first sign of a sunny spring day, I rush out and buy ten pairs of ridiculous three-quarter length shorts. All the same, in recent days, I have the uncomfortable feeling that I am letting my people down.

You see, I’ve been watching an awful lot of the IPL, which in English cricket circles is a bit like admitting that you failed all your exams. People look at me with a mixture of horror and pity. “But what about Michael Vaughan,” they say, in an effort to lure me back to the straight and narrow with a nice, decent bit of cricket chat, “Do you think he’ll get back into the England side? And what about Ian Bell?”


View article...

0 comments:

Post a Comment